ONLY Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is for Fans of AD&D 1st Edition

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Back in the Day...

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Old farts like me never had the luxury of buying D&D miniatures for gameplay..We just used pennies, dimes ect. or whatever we could find around the house. The only pewter figures that were available could only be found at head shops or metaphysical book stores and they mostly consisted of faeries, dragons and sorcerers. The were kinda cool all different sizes.. no set scale or anything (kinda pricey) and they usually had one or two crystals glued on to them.

Back in the Day... Tn_minifairy2

Now they have every kind of character you could imagine! Some are better crafted than others but the one I bought recently- a Reaper miniature was a little disappointing...They are no longer made out of sturdy pewter it is some kind of cheap tin Sad
Back to top Go down

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 7:57 pm

She has a fondness for greens though!
Back to top Go down

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 pm

I love the greens! I wouldn't ever paint one! They are beautiful!!!

Back in the Day... 14479_g_1
Back to top Go down

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Did i forget to mention she's a weirdo!
Back to top Go down

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyMon Apr 05, 2010 10:49 pm

I'm a blue box guy. I remember the white crayon to denote the 01's from the 10's on the d20.

I will play 4ed. D&D soon with some of my younger workmates, and I will try hard not to be a a hater.

I'll see how that goes (haven't played D&D since 2ed.) Should be fun!
Back to top Go down
Mordenkainen
Arch Mage (Admin)
Arch Mage (Admin)
Mordenkainen

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyTue Apr 06, 2010 5:57 pm

No P.H. you BE a hater, when you have run a few games you will probably realize (as I did) how bloody awful 4e (not) DnD really is . . . . . .
Back to top Go down
https://only-adnd-1st-ed.rpg-board.net

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:27 am

Ok. I played 4ed. (not) D&D. Half the group had never played a paper and pencil RPG before, two other guys were veterans. I spent most of the night between lengthy combat rounds, pouring over classic modules that the other (older) vet brought over.

I really don't want to be a curmudgeon, and I think just about any system can work with the right group, but Jeepers, the first thing I noticed was how everything was EXTREME!

1st level wizards with 23 hit points and lots of pretty powerful spells (that regenerated after every encounter?) were balanced by goblins that refused to die. Also there seem to be no class/race relationship restrictions; it's a very anything goes world that is robbed of the classic medieval style friction between folk from different culture/classes.

Woe to the Dragonkind Paladin?

So my plan is to play along and enjoy myself the best I can until everyone is sick of video games on paper, then purpose a game of C&C with myself as the humble DM (I mean CK). We'll see.

Should this be in a different thread?

To make this appropriate for this thread the other vet left one of my favorite ED&D modules here for me to pour over: Castle Amber!
Back in the Day... Castleamber

Last edited by Phantom Hugger on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordenkainen
Arch Mage (Admin)
Arch Mage (Admin)
Mordenkainen

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 am

Quote :
Ok. I played 4ed. (not) D&D. Half the group had never played a paper and pencil RPG before, two other guys were veterans. I spent most of the night between lengthy combat rounds, pouring over classic modules that the other (older ) vet brought over.

I really don't want to be a curmudgeon, and I think just about any system can work with the right group, but Jeepers, the first thing I noticed was how everything was EXTREME!

I take your point about "anything working with the right group", but 4e (not) DnD encourages the very style/type of player thats been frowned upon since the dawn of Roleplaying - the Munchkin/Power Gamer.

Is this all the next generation of Roleplayers has to look forward too, a system that encourages greed and bad behaviours amongst its devotees . . . . . .
Back to top Go down

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 6:48 pm

In the immortal words of the player haters club,"hate,hate,hate,hate,hate!"
Back to top Go down

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 1:19 am

[In the immortal words of the player haters club....]

So wait, do I have to prove my legit status as an old skull type?

If only I saved my Gen Con name tag from 88', signed by my man, Gary Gygax. He was more interested in promoting his new game, Cyborg Commando at the time. I was grateful to meet him; If I smoked, would have bummed a Pall Mall from him and shared an anecdote about White Plume Mountain.

But indeed, I thank him for all the good times that no one will ever remember, except me and a few.

I may hate 4ed. I may start thinking that it will besmirch what was once grand and good about D&D.

BUT until I play more with my friends, I'll be in hater Limbo; or at least wherever those Modrons were suppose to be from.

Last edited by Phantom Hugger on Sat May 01, 2010 12:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mordenkainen
Arch Mage (Admin)
Arch Mage (Admin)
Mordenkainen

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 5:37 am

I've been really "naughty" actually, I ran a couple of 4e games a while back and the group asked me to do a few "return sessions".

My response was "Hey, you know whats better than 4e" - so I'm running Castles and Crusades for them next week MWUAHAHAHAHAH (evil laugh)
Back to top Go down

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 4:35 am

Mmmm,subtle,but most effective!
Back to top Go down
Mordenkainen
Arch Mage (Admin)
Arch Mage (Admin)
Mordenkainen

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 5:06 am

I'll run ANYTHING for Anyone personally, because I know I can steer them onto a better system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back in the Day... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Day...   Back in the Day... Empty

Back to top Go down

Back in the Day...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ONLY Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition :: Basic Dungeons and Dragons :: Discussion-
Jump to: